I hope that this newsletter finds you safe and well. It has been just over eight weeks since we closed and these past sixty plus days have been the most challenging, interesting, and exhausting days of our careers which is bizarre given that we are closed!
We have had consistently had over 1,000 unique weekly users to the Members Hub and averaging 2,361 active users over a 30-day period.
Our most popular pages are Group Exercise, Healthy Tips and Well-Being. Please, if you are still yet to see what is on offer, then do take a look and let us know what you think. Your feedback is extremely useful to us and you can do this by emailing your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to the Members Hub information, frequent challenges are also available on our other social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
What Else Has Been Happening
Also, several of our staff are, where possible, assisting our College colleagues by undertaking roles such as supporting security with patrolling around the College estate. All other administrative tasks are continued to be worked on with staff working from home.
The Way Forward
The leisure industry faces its most significant challenge ever like many other businesses and industries and Wellington is not exempt from the financial impact and pressure this period of closure is presenting. It is likely that we will not have operated for at least four months and this may be extended by another month or two or more. Difficult and challenging days lay ahead.
Upon reopening, nobody can accurately predict what the people’s responses will be when we get a green light to reopen. There is no previous behaviour-modelling to forecast on how people for all leisure facilities will react, especially in the light of no vaccine being readily available in the immediate future. Current information taken from Clubs abroad have experienced anything from a 30 to 50% uptake from their respective membership bases. Data from these Clubs in China, Asia and Scandinavia is being reviewed by our industry, however, there are marked differences in the form of business models and operations. Some of the key information though lies in the feedback that they have provided in what they would now do differently in reopening. Some Clubs that opened in the States early are now filing for bankruptcy. All in all, we are observing and looking to learn from every source and then to create our own bespoke plans based in and around government and industry guidelines.
As soon as guidance is provided by the Government, Public Health England etc. we as Wellington will start to refine our reopening plans. We also recognise that and know that what we say and do now, will not necessarily be what we do and say in the following weeks and months due to the changing landscape of this situation.
What I can and will say is like every other facility we are reviewing and upgrading our cleaning procedures and policies, introducing new systems of work, reviewing our programme of activities, and allowing for the impact of social distancing. I will provide more granular detail over the coming weeks and months outlining precisely what our operational practices and changes are. Pleased be assured that this is our top priority.
The intention of the survey was to get a temperature check on what members felt about the Members Hub and any early thoughts of how they are feeling about returning to the Club and what their concerns are currently. 64% of Members would return to the Club in the first month of opening. The remaining 36% would return after month two, ensuring we adhere to current social distancing and cleaning guidelines.
An overview of survey results will be made available on a new Tile (called on Looking Forward) on the Members Hub and all our social media platforms by Friday 22nd May. This feedback, although limited, will help shape and formulate our planning. We recognise that it is a small sample size and we will be coming back out again in a few weeks’ time to gain comparison information and data. To those who were able to respond, thank you. Your feedback is very much appreciated and greatly valued.
Keep active, stay safe and we look forward to seeing you all when we can open and when you feel ready to come back.